The degree symbol is a small circle (°) with two purposes. One represents temperature, such as 25°C or 40°F, whereas the other measures angles in mathematics, such as 45°. The uses of the degree symbol are as follows.
- It represents the breadth of an angle expressed in sexagesimal degrees when placed after an integer or a decimal value between 0 and 360.
- The width of a null angle is 0 degrees, the width of a right angle is 90 degrees, the width of a flat curve is 180 degrees, and the width of a corner angle is 360 degrees.
- When the degree symbol is followed by the letters C (° C) or F (° F), it denotes a temperature in degrees centigrade or Fahrenheit, respectively.
How to Type Degree Symbol (°)?
Remember that the kelvin unit of measurement (sign K) is the only unit of temperature measurement that does not require degrees. There are no default keys for inserting the degree sign on a conventional keyboard layout. However, in Windows and Mac computers, you may type the degree sign using a keyboard shortcut and other utilities. There are many ways to type the degree symbol on the Windows PC
1. Type Degree Symbol with Alt code (Windows)
A shortcut key is the quickest way to input the degree sign on a Windows PC keyboard. Follow these steps to type the degree symbol on a Windows PC using the shortcut:
- By hitting the Num Lock key, you can enable Num Lock. Press Fn + NumLock to activate Num Lock on laptops without a numeric keypad.
- On the keyboard, hold and press the Alt.
- Then press the degree symbol alt code on the numeric keypad 0176.
- Release the Alt key after pressing the alt code, and the degree symbol will appear.
These instructions will show you how to type the degree symbol in Microsoft Windows. You don’t need to press all the keys together. Just hold the Alt key and press 0176 one by one without any pause.
2. Type Degree Symbol with Shortcut key (Mac)
A shortcut key is the fastest way to input the degree sign on a Mac PC. Follow these steps given below to type the degree symbol on a Mac PC using the shortcut keys:
- Hold and press the Shift and Option keys on the keyboard simultaneously.
- Then press the 8 key once.
These short keys will insert the degree symbol on Mac.
3. Type Degree Symbol in word using Symbols tool (Windows and Mac)
Typing degree symbol in word using symbols tab isn’t as simple as using Alt code. It involves navigating the symbol library with the mouse to click and insert any sign you desire. However, once you’ve copied and pasted the sign into your document, you can use it wherever and whenever you want. You have to follow the following steps:
- Select the Insert tab.
- From the Symbols group, then click the More Symbols
- A dialogue box called Symbols will emerge.
- From this dialogue, scroll down to discover the degree sign. Double-click it when you see it to insert it into your document. Otherwise, pick it and press the Insert button in the dialogue box’s bottom right corner.
- Click Cancel to close the Symbol dialogue after inputting the degree symbol.
4. Type Degree Symbol in Excel using Char Formula (Windows and Mac)
Another simple approach after using the degree symbol alt code is to use the Char formula. The Char function specifies the symbols or characters when selecting that character’s code. To insert the degree symbol using the Char function, follow the steps given below:
- Select the cell where you want to insert the Symbol.
- Then, type =CHAR(and add the symbols Alt code. Like =CHAR(176) or =CHAR(0176)).
- Press the enter key to see results as you finish typing this formula.
If you want to attach the degree symbol to a number, say 50. Consider the steps below:
- Select the cell that will contain content
- Type =30& into the cell. The & operator will join 50 and degree symbol.
- Now type the degree symbol formula that is CHAR(176)
- The complete formula should look like this: =50&CHAR(176).
- After applying the formula, press Enter key to see the result.
5. Type Degree Symbol in Excel using Symbols Library (Windows and Mac)
Another way to insert degree symbol into Excel is to use the Insert Symbol dialog. To type the degree symbol in Excel, follow these instructions:
- Select the cell you want to insert the Symbol. Place the insertion pointer right there if you need the degree symbol before or after any character or number.
- Click on the Insert tab, search the Symbols drop-down button and click on it.
- Select the Symbol from the drop-down list.
- A dialog box named Symbols will appear on the screen.
- Search the degree symbol from this dialogue box and double click on it. Otherwise, select the Symbol and click on the Insert button at the bottom of the dialog box.
- Click Cancel to close the dialog box.
By using the short keys, it is very easy to type the Degree symbol in both Windows and Mac. Word and Excel also provide options to insert degree symbols in your text easily.