Are you facing any problem related to your PC? Sometimes you may experience system slowdown, functions not working as expected, and unexpected shutdown because you did not check your PC before using them. It can happen if you have not tested your CPU before throwing it into the loads of intensive tasks. It can also cause permanent damage if you ignore these problems.
What is Stress Testing?
Stress testing is done for frequent computer hardware problems that are sometimes torture for people. To monitor your computer performance, you must conduct stress testing for your CPU and overall computer health. This type of performance testing validates the highest processing limits of your computer devices or networks induced with the extreme load.
It checks the system or network under the immense load, and whether it can recover while returning to normal. To certify that there are no hidden glitches, the most important thing before buying or building your PC is to stress test it for at least 6 to 7 hours to know that it is entirely stable.
Why is CPU Stress testing important?
Let us discuss here some of the reasons why CPU Stress Testing is important.
- Performance Issues In Old Computers
Suppose your old computers are not working well and you face problems like immediate shut down, slowdown of computers performance, etc. In that case, you have to perform Stress Testing as it will help you find out the reason behind the issue and how to resolve it before the complete breakdown of computer.
- Over Clocking
Suppose you use your computer daily for office work, gaming, or anything else that requires high performance by CPU. In that case, you can consider Over Clocking, with which you can run your PCs at much high speed than initially intended. The stress test will help you to check if performance has increased or not.
- Computers Maximum Performance
Sometimes you do not get performance as mentioned or promised by salesperson. The computer is a machine with many components to effect performance and stability. To judge realistic performance, you have to perform Stress Test.
Different types of Stress Testing
Five types of stress testing ( Distributed, Application, Transactional, Systematic, and Exploratory) could be used depending on the type of testing you want to perform, like Stress Testing for your PCs, RAM, CPU, and GPU.
Your focus should be on the following points while testing stress on computers
- CPU Stress Testing, performed to check the CPU performance after running it at full speed completely up to the maximum level.
- GPU Stress Testing, executed to check its limit by utilizing its full processing power.
- RAM Stress Testing, performed to examine how it behaves at increased voltage and temperature.
CPU Stress Testing Software
The Best CPU Stress Testing Software that are available in the market with which you can thoroughly test the limits of your CPU are as follows:
1. Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool
Intel Processor program is one of the Stress Testing software used to test your Memory, Graphic Card, and CPU. It is a downloadable software for your PC and shows the most important information about your system in a very easy-to-read format. Operating this tool might be difficult, so it is recommended that you should have the technical knowledge to handle it.
This software will provide you with a better understanding of what is going on with your CPU and how you can resolve it. This tool can also test the PC power supply by setting various parameters. You can set this test to run on a loop, and also it can even be set to shut itself down if the CPU overheats automatically.
- It is a free software.
- It supports a multi-processor system.
- It will reduce Power Management settings.
- It shows all information in a single window.
- It supports popular motherboard brands.
- Only Intel users can use this software.
- There may be difficulty to uninstall this app from the system completely.
- It may cause a problem if your hardware device is too old.
It is easy-to-use Stress Testing Software containing basic information about your equipments that you need to know in an organized chart that is extremely clear and easy to read. It can give you easy access to the important areas of your personal computers.
CPU-Z helps you monitor your processor load at any time and get detailed information like how many KB of cache memory you have installed. You can detect the exact speed of your processor with the help of this software. You can also gather information about Processor Name, Number, Mainboard and Chipset, Internal Frequency and Memory Frequency, etc.
- It will allow you to quickly navigate in your computer system.
- It helps you to perform your required task efficiently.
- This software comes with a convenient update checker.
- It is not easy to use the software data if you are a novice computer user.
- Displayed information is presented in a very raw form and has no explanations of its data.
- You can not test GPU with this software.
If you are looking for heavy-duty Stress Testing Software, this might be the one for you that will allow you to determine your PC performance with ease. It offers advanced rendering and CPU technology to evaluate computer hardware capabilities accurately.
It shows you the maximum speed of your CPU and how much performance you will get once the speed is achieved. Cinebench helps systems administer purchases decision, journalists review the hardware, and the hardware manufacturers improve their latest products.
- It allows you to change CPU loads.
- It is designed to test all available CPU cores.
- If your computer is getting blocked by the processor and graphics card, it will help you identify.
- It comes with easy to use interface.
- You can download it without any cost.
- If you are not familiar with CPU utilization, it can be complicated to use it.
- It uses an ancient test run.
- It constantly crashes and sometimes do not respond.
- It does not start or load sometimes.
- It increases battery consumption.
4. System Stability Test – AIDA64
It is a Hardware Testing program with a built-in sensor monitoring system. It can measure CPU memory utilization and has a temperature and fan speed sensor. It also has a benchmarking tool that could be used to test most of the components.
System Stability Test – AIDA64 helps you choose the type of test you like to run, the amount of time it will run for, and even you can set to run in a loop. In addition, System stability tests have undergone improvement, which is now 64 bit originated.
- It provides you with information about all storage devices.
- It provides you with information specifically about Windows, including the installation data, license key, and much more.
- It will also test memory performance.
- It will report Wizards.
- It is a bit complicated to use for beginners.
- It did not provide you with a completely free version.
- It contains a large number of flaws when tested on exciting new version programs.
5. Passmark BurnlnTest
Anyone who has used a PC for a long time knows better the importance of having a stable system. Hardware failure can be repetitive sometimes. You can solve Hardware issues with this software. It is a software tool that allows all the major computer subsystems to test for reliability and stability. It lets you test your computer thoroughly by continuously running it in the background.
The program’s main screen contains a CPU load meter that measures how close your system is to its maximum load and a temperature monitor for your CPU. It was also benchmarking tool that could use for Stress Testing. Even if your Hardware is not entirely new, it will show you accurate results.
- It enhances the mechanism to report Memory Hardware Read Errors in the memory Stress Test.
- It is free of cost software for Stress Testing.
- It will show you accurate CPU load results.
- We can fix the issue of reading CPU temperature with this software.
- It will provide you with a graphical user interface and a command-line version.
- It can only test one CPU at a time.
- It takes time to download and install on your system.
- This edition has been discontinued, so it will no longer receive updates.
GPU Stress Testing Software
Here we discuss GPU Stress Testing Software which are mostly free for personal use
One of the best gaming engines worldwide which will offer a few gaming tests that can Stress Test your GPU to no end. A few of the most popular tests are Superposition, Heaven, and Valley, and you can go with any of them to test stress.
Unigine is a Stress Testing Software that includes testing, monitoring, and benchmarking. It is a demanding test that renders advanced visuals created by the powerful Unigine engine. It will Stress Test the graphically intense environment for an extended time to check CPU stability. It includes 900 plus interactive objects with dynamic lighting technology and VR module testing.
- You can easily compare your GPU with other systems around the World.
- It is also free of cost software.
- It is quite customized based on users’ needs.
- This software can monitor GPU usage, temperature, power supply, FPS count, and many more.
- It is a bit complicated to use by beginners.
- Sometimes it do not respond.
- It takes time to download and install.
- It does not test CPU or RAM.
Sometimes old graphic cards lack certain voltage limit protection due to extreme load on your GPU that might sometimes damage it because of overheating. But now, due to FurMark, this problem is solved.
It is a lightweight but intensive graphic cards/ GPU stress test on your Windows. It is a very intensive OpenGL benchmark that uses a fur rendering algorithm to measure the performance of graphic cards. This software can also provide a custom preset such as resolution, screen mode, dynamic background, etc.
- It is simple to use and free of cost.
- It will provide you with complete information on how well your new system will perform.
- It can also see the overall temperature and fan speed as well.
- It can handle the most potent graphic processor.
- You cannot monitor many essential metrics with this application because this test is highly advanced.
- It can damage your Hardware due to overheating by tremendous load on GPU.
- It also does not test the CPU.
3. 3D Mark
3D Mark has a benchmark designed especially for your Hardware and designed for system builders, gamers, and overclockers. It is one of the widely used software to test graphic cards performance, system resources, and many more.
It can determine CPU workload processing and 3D visual rendering capabilities of a wide range of devices. It automatically scans your Hardware and suggests a suitable benchmark for your PCs. It also compares your device with other models to help you decide whether it is time for an upgrade or not.
- It is accessible for Android, Windows, and iOS.
- It displays GPU temperature, frame rate, clock speed in real-time.
- It is used to test graphic cards.
- If you are looking for one specifically tailored to a certain brand of the video card, then a 3D mark might not be a suitable choice.
- You need to pay for this software if you want an Advance edition.
- It also sometimes slows down because of your GPU’s heavy workload.
HWMonitor is one of the hardware monitoring programs reads PC systems’ central health: Voltage, temperature, fan, and speed. It also supports special hardware monitors such as Gigabyte ODIN power supply and supports most Hardware monitoring chips found on today’s mainboard. HWMonitor can also track the temperature of different components and current incoming voltage.
- It is also free of cost software.
- It is a lightweight and handy piece of software that can monitor your system efficiently.
- The basic layout of the table design makes it easy to scroll and find data.
- It provides you with system updates regularly.
- It doesn’t provide you with the depth of other software’s monitoring features.
- It do not provides you with details about other parameters except temperature, voltage, and frequencies.
- Sometimes it will not respond.
5. MSI AFTERBURNER
It is one of the most used graphic card software because it is reliable, gives you free control, lets you monitor your Hardware in real-time, and is free of cost. It also provides an incredibly detailed overview of your Hardware and includes additional features such as customizing fan profiles, benchmarking, and video recording. You can use a stable version to overclock your PC’s GPU and CPU.
- It is free and safe to use.
- It supports the latest version of graphic cards like Geforce, NVIDIA, etc.
- It provides easy and precise access to your GPU settings.
- You can also check your GPU temperature, clock speed, and voltage.
- If overclocking is not done correctly, it can damage your device.
- It can also increase your consumption of electricity and can increase bills.
- Due to increased heat, the wires will crack, and connected pins will;l break.
- The frame rate change is not drastic.
Software to Stress Test RAM
Here we provide you with some software to test your RAM against inefficient read and write speed, hardware glitches, paging error, caching, and many more.
RAM is integral for the proper functioning of your OS and handling of your data. It is one of the oldest and most popular software to test your RAM. With the help of a comprehensive test, you can monitor the stability of your RAM. It will allow the different tests to determine if your RAM is causing or may be causing instabilities, crashes, etc., in the future. IT will also help you with troubleshooting errors on your PCs. It will boot from a USB flash drive or DVD.
- It will provide you with a modern graphic interface suitable for both novices and professionals.
- Support all current RAM versions.
- It has the ability to recognize XMP profiles.
- It is completely free diagnostic software.
- It is fully supported, which means updates will already be planned.
- It does not include an option for the Desk program.
- It is difficult for beginners to handle its Advanced features.
- It will disable the CPU cache option.
2. Karhu’s RAM Test
You can use this software to examine the hardware faults or check how your RAM behaves after overclocking it. This application is best for you if you don’t like MemTest. It deploys several algorithms to test the RAM by generating random numbers on RAM. Some of its functions will disable the CPU cache and enable sequential writing on a memory block.
- It has a standard GUI interface with a simple design and advanced features.
- This test is confirmed to be a reliable test.
- It has easy to use graphical user interface.
- It will support up to 8TB of RAM.
- This software is not free of cost.
- Some people claim that some games did soft crash when they started playing.
- It did not give any update for about two years.
3. Prime 95
It is a handy tool for overclockers and system stability checkers. It is the tool you can use to test your computer power by complex mathematical operations. It uses all the cores to multi CPU systems to ensure a high load stress test environment.
The application starts looking for a prime number and would not stop until you tell it to, using a massive amount of memory in the process. You have to run the test for at least 2 to 3 hours to gauge your RAM performance properly. It will detect an error within a minute if your overclock is not stable.
- It is capable and reliable software to examine your RAM.
- It will allow you to double-check the test.
- It requires a lot of temporary desk space.
- It will provide you with automatic updates to the latest version..
- If you do not have a more powerful PSU because of overstressing, you will cause a failure.
- It includes errors contacting the server.
- Sometimes it would not provide you with better results.
- It will increase your consumption of electricity.
4. RAM Stress Test for Linux
If you are a Linux operator, you can use the stress application test for your RAM. This software lets you increase randomized traffic on memory and I/O components and generate a high load on RAM. This system can easily be installed through the terminal.
- This software will determine how the software and web application handle errors.
- We can use it to identify triggers and warning signs.
- You can identify bugs such as synchronization and timing bugs etc.
- Identify memory defects and failures.
- You have to pay for this software.
- Only Linux users can use this software.
- This software did not provide any update yet.
- Sometimes your system will shut down due to a heavy load.
Above mentioned are some of the software to Stress Test your PCs. Depending upon your expertise level, select one of the best software to Stress Test your CPU, GPU, and RAM. These software will allow you to run a series of tasks and offer a benchmark result to compare your PCs with other computers. It is important to note that when you want to select a stress tester for your PC, always remember that the software you are using do not overheat the system while running.